The Mercury delivers news and enjoyable every single solitary day—but your assist is important. If you believe Portland advantages from smart, local journalism and arts coverage, please consider creating a modest month-to-month contribution, mainly because without you, there is no us. Thanks for your assistance!
City Council to line up driving People today for Portland effort and hard work to return the Thompson Elk to its honkin’ big, targeted visitors-blocking base. Suzette Smith
Good Morning, PORTLAND! Get prepared for a weekend of “Wet,” kicking off now with showers and doable heavy thunderstorms and a significant of 57 levels. YEAH!! Now, let’s search at some Information.
IN Local Information:
• Today in “EYE-ROLLING POLITICAL POSTURING”: Upcoming week, Portland City Council—and in distinct Commissioner Dan Ryan—will be lining up in assist of returning the Thompson Elk statue to its original place on SW Primary… with it really is first, honkin’ massive, targeted traffic-blocking fountain intact. (It was likely to sit on a narrower foundation enabling for smoother site visitors and bike lanes, till the dim income cry-little one business People today for Portland pitched a fit.) In a truly barf-worthy press launch, Ryan said, “For countless Portlanders, The Elk is aspect of the soul of our Metropolis, and restoration of the fountain is related to the healing of Portland.” VOMIT. This is just an additional good motive to vote on Might 17 for a prospect who’s not so beholden to silly loaded individuals.
Portland City Council will vote on a resolution following week that will solidify the city’s determination to restoring each the fountain base of the Thompson Elk statue and the statue itself.
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) May perhaps 6, 2022
• Speaking of voting: Have you seen the Mercury‘s Endorsement Cheat Sheet? It appears just like this!
• Reaction time for 911 phone calls have gotten even slower thanks to a new software program process mounted to speed things up, according to a new OPB report. Even even worse, the town pushed through the new process as dispatchers warned them it would slow down the reaction time for emergencies. (Enjoyable reality: Commissioner Mingus Mapps—endorsed by the Portland Organization Alliance and the town’s wealthy realtors—is in charge of the Bureau of Unexpected emergency Communications that disregarded dispatchers warnings. He is not up for reelection at this time.)
• On Thursday, targeted traffic engineers for the Interstate 5 bridge alternative venture presented their most current strategy, recommending an eight-lane bridge style and design (Ooh! That is a Whole lot.) along with higher-potential light rail to a panel of regional politicians and stakeholders. So what did the panel assume? As you may possibly count on, there have been Mixed Assessments. Our Isabella Garcia breaks it all down for you.
THREAD🧵: Extra than 30 many years ago, state agencies acknowledged the consuming drinking water in sections of Japanese OR was not harmless to consume since of nitrate contamination. A committee was created to uncover out why & feel of remedies to remedy the dilemma.
— Monica Samayoa (@m0nica10) May perhaps 5, 2022
• Hey, looking for a superior deal on foods from local eating places, even though reducing foodstuff waste at the same time? Our Suzette Smith introduces you to the app “Also Good To Go”—which hooks you up with dining establishments who will market their extra, close of the working day foods for low-cost!
Crank up that brain, it’s time for one more super-enjoyment POP QUIZ PDX! This week: Adventures with the “just about nude,” abortion-hating Republicans, and duck egg dilemmas! 🦆 (Moreover enter to earn absolutely free pizza! 🍕)https://t.co/Q9oS6nxzx0
— Portland Mercury 🗞 (@portlandmercury) May possibly 5, 2022
IN National/International News:
• Ukraine’s military is hanging back again in opposition to Russian forces, launching an offensive to push their troops out of the towns of Kharkiv and Izium. In the meantime, a new evacuation hard work has released to rescue the civilians surrounded by Russian troops in a Mariupol steel plant. Also of notice: The US reportedly fed the Ukraine federal government intelligence to support them find that Russian warship their forces sank in the Black Sea.
— Reuters (@Reuters) May possibly 6, 2022
• Previous Portland hotelier (and Trump crony) Gordon Sondland has a profile in the Washington Write-up these days in which he attempts to whitewash his function in carrying out Trump’s needs to besmirch Hunter Biden, and distinct his own title. Surprise! It is not incredibly convincing.
Devin Nunes Donald Trump quietly ‘encouraged’ Elon Musk to acquire Twitter. The site is technically in level of competition with Trump’s own system. https://t.co/l1idnILZwD
— Maggie Haberman (@maggieNYT) May 6, 2022
• Initial abortion, then trans kids, and now: “GOP Lawmakers Now Demanding LGBT Information Warnings for Tv set Demonstrates.”
• Say good day to Karine Jean-Pierre—the new White Property Press Secretary, who also just comes about to be the first Black girl AND brazenly homosexual person to keep down the purpose!
• And eventually… do they give Oscars for TikToks? They need to.